2012 Can-Am Outlander™ 650 XT
Stock Image: Yellow
The Outlander 650 XT adds improved handling and heavy-duty features to an ATV already boasting the most power and best power-to-weight ratio in its category. The new Tri-mode Dynamic Power Steering (DPS) lets you set the amount of assistance to your preference. And bumpers, mud guards and a 3,000-lb winch mean you're ready for anything.
XT Added Features
Tri-mode Dynamic Power Steering (DPS™): The Tri-Mode DPS™ features three rider-selectable modes (MIN, MED and MAX) of steering depending on rider preference. The system is designed to offer less assist at high speed and more assist at low speed. This technology also includes a Direct Link setup that uses advanced magnetic field sensors for faster response to steering input than competitive technology, which then minimizes steering lag. Less kickback and more trail feedback is supplied to the operator because of the 50:1 final gear ratio, which is the largest in the industry. A high-capacity 50-amp motor means the DPS™ will never fade with heavy use and all DPS™-equipped models also come with the Visco-Lok® QE.
Visco-Lok® QE auto-locking front differential: All DPS-equipped models have the Visco-Lok® QE calibration up front, which has all the features and benefits of the standard quick-engagement Visco-Lok® differential, but with an even quicker engagement point. This differential, unlike some competitors' differentials, does not have a speed limiter.
3,000-lb WARN® winch with roller fairlead, wired remote control & integrated remote storage: This powerful 3,000-lb (1,361 kg) capacity factory-installed winch is equipped with a wired remote control that neatly stows in the underside of the ATV's front storage compartment cover.
Black cast-aluminum wheels with color-matched inserts: Lightweight 4 twin-spoke design gives an aggressive and premium look to the Outlander. Painted black with color-matched inserts.
26 in. Carlisle® ACT radial tires: These 26 in., 3-ply tires feature a tread pattern that is aggressive enough to tackle the toughest terrain, yet provide a smooth ride in a lightweight package.
Heavy-duty front and rear bumpers: The front and rear bumpers are factory installed and are covered by a factory warranty. The added protection gives peace of mind in rugged conditions.
Handlebar with wind deflectors: Premium look and protection from brush and cold.
650-W magneto: This package provides a more powerful magneto with 650 watts of power output.
Mudguards: Provide added protection in muddy conditions.
- 60-hp Rotax 650 engine V-Twin, liquid-cooled, SOHC, 8-valve (4-valve/ cyl)
- Torsional Trailing arm Independent rear suspension (TTI)
- Double A-arm front suspension
- Visco-Lok® auto-locking front differential
- Continuously Variable Transmission (CVT)
- Cast-aluminum wheels
- 60-hp Rotax 650 V-Twin, liquid-cooled EFI engine: This 60-hp, 80º V-Twin engine is the most powerful engine below 800 cc. The liquid-cooled, single overhead cam power plant has four valves per cylinder, a 46-mm throttle body and two VDO Siemens‡ fuel injectors. The EFI automatically keeps the engine's performance at its peak, regardless of temperature or altitude. Progressive throttle ensures power is manageable whether in precise rock crawling or on the straights.
- Torsional Trailing arm Independent rear suspension (TTI): The only independent rear suspension that eliminates scrub and camber changes, meaning the wheels pivot up and down rather than in a butterfly motion like competitors' systems. This ensures the vehicle only moves in the direction you point it. With fewer moving parts than competitive systems. The proven TTI rear suspension has a suspension travel of 9 in. (229 mm) .
- Visco-Lok® auto-locking 4x4 front differential: The Visco-Lok® 4 x 4 system constantly monitors front wheel speed and, if it detects one wheel spinning faster than the other, it progressively sends more power to the wheel with the better traction. And it does it all without the rider having to lift a finger.
- Double A-arm front suspension: The front suspension geometry provides light steering on the trail meaning less rider fatigue.
- Continuously Variable Transmission (CVT) with engine braking: For ease of use, you can count on the CVT transmission that features engine braking to help slow you when going downhill.
- Center skid plate: Center skid plate made of 5-mm thick injection-molded high-density polyethylene (HDPE). Offers better frame protection for riding in rough terrain.
- Steel racks with 300 lb (136 kg) capacity
- Multi-function digital gauge: Tells the rider everything in one easy glance. Our easy-to-read multi-function gauge is equipped with a digital information center including a speedometer, tachometer, odometer, trip meter, gear position, hour meter, engine hour meter, temperature and engine lights, fuel gauge and a clock function.
- D.E.S.S.™ (Digitally Encoded Security System): Outlander models feature the exclusive D.E.S.S.™ anti-theft system. The ATV will not start unless a coded microchip in the key matches a code embedded in the engine control module. It means only you can start your vehicle.
- Tri-mode Dynamic Power Steering (DPS)
- Visco-Lok® QE auto-locking front differential
- 3,000-lb WARN winch
- Heavy-duty front and rear bumpers
- Type: 649.6cc, V-twin, liquid-cooled, SOHC, 8-valve (4-valve/cyl)
- Bore & Stroke: 82 x 62 mm
- EFI System / Carburetor: 46 mm Throttle Body, 2 Siemens® VDO injectors
- Starting System: Electric
- Transmission: CVT, sub-transmission with high, low, park, neutral & reverse. Standard engine braking
- Drive Train: Selectable 2w/4w shaft driven with Visco-Lok® front differential
- Frame: SST
- Front Suspension Type/Shocks: Double A-arm
- Front Suspension Travel: 8 in. (203 mm)
- Rear Suspension Type/Shocks: Torsional Trailing arm Independent (TTI)
- Rear Suspension Travel: 9 in. (229 mm)
- Front Brakes: 2 inboard hydraulic discs
- Rear Brake: 1 inboard hydraulic disc
- Tires/Front: 26 x 8 x 12 in. (660 x 203 x 305 mm)
- Tires/Rear: 26 x 10 x 12 in. (660 x 254 x 305 mm)
- Wheels: Cast-aluminum
- L x W x H: 86 x 46 x 45 in. (2,184 x 1,168 x 1,143 mm)
- Wheelbase: 51 in. (1,295 mm)
- Seat Height: 34.5 in. (877 mm)
- Ground Clearance: 12 in. (305 mm)
- Dry Weight: 669 lb (303 kg)
- Towing Capacity: 1,300 lb (590 kg)
- Front Rack Capacity: Front: 100 lb (45 kg)
- Rear Rack Capacity: Rear: 200 lb (90 kg)
- Storage: Rear storage 5.3 US gal (20 L)
- Fuel Capacity: 4.3 US gal (16.3 L)
- Instrumentation: Multi-function digital LCD gauge: Speedometer, tachometer (bar graph RPM, bottom bar numerical RPM), odometer, trip & hour meters, diagnostic center, gear position, engine hour meter, 4x4 indicator, temperature and engine lights, fuel gauge, clock, auto shut off after 15 minutes
- Anti-Theft: D.E.S.S.™ (Digitally Encoded Security System)
- Electrical: Prewired for winch
- Lighting: 2 fender mounted headlamps (35W) with tail light/brake light
- DC Outlet: Lighter type in console, standard connector in the back (15A)
- Color(s) available: Viper Red, Yellow
- Basic: 6 months limited factory warranty
- Extended: B.E.S.T. available from 12 to 36 months
- Engine Type
- SOHC, 8-valve (4-valve/cyl)
- Bore x Stroke
- 82 x 62 mm
- Engine Cooling
- Fuel System
- 46 mm Throttle Body, 2 Siemens® VDO injectors
- Starting System
- 650 W
- Front Suspension
- Double A-arm
- Front Travel
- 8 in. (203 mm)
- Front Brake Type
- 2 inboard hydraulic discs
- Front Tires
- 26 x 8 x 12 in. (660 x 203 x 305 mm)
- Rear Suspension
- Torsional Trailing arm Independent (TTI)
- Rear Travel
- 9 in. (229 mm)
- Rear Brake Type
- 1 inboard hydraulic disc
- Rear Tires
- 26 x 10 x 12 in. (660 x 254 x 305 mm)
- Dry Weight
- 669 lb (303 kg)
- Front Rack Capacity
- 100 lb (45 kg)
- Rear Rack Capacity
- 200 lb (90 kg)
- Towing Capacity
- 1,300 lb (590 kg)
- Fuel Capacity
- 4.3 US gal (16.3 L)
- Ground Clearance
- 12 in. (305 mm)
- Machine Dimensions (LxWxH)
- 86 x 46 x 45 in. (2,184 x 1,168 x 1,143 mm)
- 51 in. (1,295 mm)
- Drive Train
- Selectable 2w/4w with Visco-Lok® front differential
- Final Drive
- CVT, sub-transmission with high, low, park, neutral & reverse. Standard engine braking
- Standard: Digital
- Standard: Digital
- Standard: Digital
- 2 fender mounted headlamps (35W) with tail light/brake light
- Viper Red, Yellow
- Basic: 6 months limited factory warranty; Extended: B.E.S.T. available from 12 to 36 months